Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Being Nice Matters

When I was 20 and still in college, I worked for a large chain store where jewelry was their main product. At Christmas time, it was understood that when the jewelry department got busy, and because that's where the greatest margin of profit was, that all available employees were to help with sales in the jewelry 'pit.' We were all trained to work the counters, but we got a minimum percentage of commission compared to the regular salespeople's salary and commissions.

This one evening, the customers were three deep all around the four sides of the jewelry counters. One by one we served the customers and it finally got to a manageable group in about two hours. Some of my coworkers were tired and wanted to go back to their departments. Some were allowed to leave, but I was asked to stay and finish helping our customers find the jewelry that they were shopping for.

As I was just about to walk my current customer to the registers so that she could checkout, I caught sight of a VERY large man in just filthy overalls. He was muddy and he smelled! When I returned to the sales counter, all of the other college students that were there working were whispering and giggling and not very discreetly. I asked them what they were whispering about. And they pointed to the man at my section of the counter. I told them not to be so mean. He might be able to hear them. I told them to have the Christmas spirit and be nice. "Because nice matters."

They were still giggling as I went to see how I could help him. When I got to him, he really did smell. It was pretty bad, but I figured he really wanted something as he had waited a long time. He thanked me for coming to him and asked to see a $40,000 aquamarine and diamond ring in the case.

Gasps and more giggles exploded from my coworkers when they heard what he had asked to see. The man and I BOTH heard the comments that they made. I was embarrassed for him and I wanted to just evaporate to escape this truly uncomfortable moment.

He apologized to ME, saying he had heard what they said before I came to help him, and he had heard what I told them, and he was so sorry that he did indeed stink, and that he must look a sight. But he said he was really pressed for time, as he had been in the field all day turning soil, and that his wife of 20 years had mentioned a ring she had seen in our case that morning.

He really wanted to surprise her with the ring because she had been the best thing that had ever happened to him. He wasn't quite sure which ring she had seen, but he wanted to get to the store as soon as he could in case the ring would be sold before he could buy it for her.

I knew the ring was $40,000, but I'm not so sure he knew how much it was. By the description, I knew exactly what ring he wanted to see. I assured him that this was the only one that would match what he was repeating from his wife's description. I told him the price and he swallowed hard.

When he finally spoke, he again apologized for his attire and aroma, and asked if I could gift wrap it for him. I told him that I could, but we would have to go to the register and pay for it first. He said "Okay."

I asked if it would be cash or charge. More giggles from behind. Comments that I had wasted my time on this sale. Laughing. It was very embarrassing. Then as he put his hand in his pocket, he said, "Cash."

Oh, you wouldn't believe the exclamations of disbelief from my coworkers. The whole floor by now had gotten wind of this very large, unkempt man trying to pretend he was going to buy a ring that he probably didn't realize that it was so expensive. The comments from EVERYONE around the area were so painfully embarrassing.

That poor man! Well, he and I walked over to the register and had to wait until the patron ahead of us was through.

He thanked me again for being so patient with him and that he was again sorry that he looked such a mess.

When the cashier saw the amount to be rung up, her eyes got as big as golf balls!

She asked me if it was a joke. I said no and that we would like to hurry as the man had a long drive back to the country and he wanted to get home as soon as possible.

She rang up the sale, and with tax, the man presented her with 42 - $1,000 bills and 4-$100 bills. Exact change, he said, to make it easier on the cashier.I was nervous that it really was happening. I was upset that it was happening. I was elated that he could make it happen. I was angry with my coworkers that they were so judgmental.

This very thoughtful and thankful man was the brunt of their jokes. And he leaned over to me and said, "So, the jokes on them, huh?!!" And with that, he pressed into my hand two one-hundred dollar bills!!

He said he wanted me to have it because I was the only one who had not made a snide comment, and I was very pleasant to him even though he knew he wasn't very presentable. And as he repeated my quote from earlier, he directed his eyes to the now-drop-jawed coworkers and boomed the comment, "BECAUSE NICE MATTERS!"

He winked and said, "Let's get this wrapped, so I can go home to my bride of 20-years."

I was so happy! Not only did I get a 1% commission on this sale, but also he had sweetened the pot by another 50%. So, I made the biggest, prettiest gift-wrapped package that I could! He thanked me again, shook my hand, and left, and I never saw him again.

This story has stayed with me for over 20 years. It's one of my favorite memories. Not because of the money, but because we formed a pact, a camaraderie, against what was bad, and we proved it to be good to do the right thing. We all learned a lesson from this night. My coworkers were VERY eager to help ALL customers after that night. Never judge a book by its cover, and remember that being nice does matter!

"But the LORD said to Samuel, 'Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.'"

Author - Unknown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home